Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My attempt to translate the "Isens ensamhet" article into English

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
siberia82

siberia82

Female
Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-11-21

My attempt to translate the "Isens ensamhet" article into English - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My attempt to translate the "Isens ensamhet" article into English   My attempt to translate the "Isens ensamhet" article into English - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 9:21 am

Page 57 (continued):

On the ice, Adrian opens his program with some spins. After 24 seconds, he speeds up, skates towards the boards and turns around. He takes two steps backwards and glides out on his right foot with his arms stretched out. After a turn, he bends his knees, does a final push and jumps up. One revolution. Two. Three. Four. A murmur is heard from the audience. But when Adrian's right skate hits the ice, he is leaning too much forwards. He falls and slides on his behind towards a City Gross advertisement on the boards before he gets up and lands five triple jumps.

When Kristoffer comes out of the changing room corridors and faces the spotlight in pinstriped pants and a matching vest, Adrian has just sat down in a chair in the kiss and cry area with his coaches.

"I missed it," he groans.

"Your weren't bad, Adrian," says coach Maria. "It was a good skate. The Lutz at the end was completely clean. And you looked happy. Calm."

The speaker announces that the judges agree with her: Adrian gets 129.20 points. This means that Kristoffer doesn't have room for any big mistakes.

He stands on the center circle with his hands shaped like guns against his cheek to resemble one of the gangsters in Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal" video.

Page 58 (https://2img.net/h/oi55.tinypic.com/2zs7148.jpg):

Kristoffer begins to dance at the first pulsating beats of the song. He feels heavy in his movements, and after his second jump, a triple toe loop, he puts his hands on the ice and is forced to speed up to be on time for his next jump, a triple Axel. This one also goes badly. He now thinks it's all over, but soon pushes the thought away. He suddenly nails three triples in a row, and when the musical medley changes to "Dirty Diana," the whole audience is clapping. After a few hip movements and a successful sit spin, he skates up to the head judge, grabs her table, looks her in the eyes and tosses his bangs. She tries to look unbribably severe, but the corners of her mouth betray her. Kristoffer then ends his program with two perfect double Axels.
Back to top Go down
siberia82

siberia82

Female

My attempt to translate the "Isens ensamhet" article into English - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My attempt to translate the "Isens ensamhet" article into English   My attempt to translate the "Isens ensamhet" article into English - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 8:40 am

Page 58 (continued):

When he and Andrea are comfortably seated on each side of the little table with mandarins in the kiss and cry, the announcer says:

- The score for the last skater is ready. Kristoffer Berntsson from Landvetter figure skating club gets 132 points, giving him a total score of 205.31.

Kristoffer smiles and clenches his fists on his lap. The audience applauds and whistles. A bunch of screaming girls in pastel-coloured clothes is hanging over the rails with autograph books in their hands. A television team rushes up to him with a spotlight to interview the winner.

"It would be fantastic to go to Tokyo again and experience something like I did during the World Championships in 2007," says a panting Kristoffer into the microphone.

Behind the wall of the kiss and cry, Adrian Schultheiss is sitting on the floor with a can of Coca-Cola. Alexander Majorov comes up to him and shakes his head.

- It's impossible in Sweden. You should have won. Kristoffer didn't have a clean skate. He didn't do a tripe-triple combination.

I ask Adrian if he agrees.

- I wasn't flawless today, and then I don't care what score Kristoffer got. Within three weeks I've changed coaches, changed skates and been ill. I know I can beat him, but I'd rather do that when I've skated well myself. While watching him perform, I was thinking that he must shape up, he made a lot of small mistakes.

Adrian drinks a sip of Coke.

- Before, I used to skate rather badly and felt that it wasn't fun any more. I had two goals when I came here: to win and to have fun again. I actually accomplished the latter today.
Back to top Go down
siberia82

siberia82

Female

PostSubject: Re: My attempt to translate the "Isens ensamhet" article into English   My attempt to translate the "Isens ensamhet" article into English - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 9:26 am

Page 58 (continued):

Kristoffer doesn't hear this from the other side of the wall. He smiles broadly in his chair and is breathing heavily.

- I'm tired. I feel sick.

There's an empty gaze in his eyes as he puts his head between his legs. Having partly recovered after a minute or so, he says:

- Damn, this feels good! Now the trophy is going home to where it belongs. I honestly thought that last year was the last time.

The skaters are then called to the ice to receive their medals and listen to the national anthem. Afterwards, the chairwoman of the Swedish Figure Skating Association, Maria Meyer-Martins, announces that she wants to award a grant to a skater who has shown a great degree of development during the year.

- The grant goes to Alexander Majorov.

The 19-year-old, who has just become 7500 kronor richer, seems quite disappointed at still being regarded as "promising" when he skates over to receive his plaque.

Meyer-Martins goes on to present another award.

- We would also like to draw attention to those in Swedish figure skating who have performed especially well during the year.

She reads from her sheet:

- For his outstanding achievement during the Olympics where he became the first Nordic skater to ever land a quadruple jump, later followed by yet another strong result at the World Championships where he beat his personal record. The prize goes to Alexander Schultheiss.

Adrian stands immobile on the blue line next to Kristoffer, who is holding the trophy in his arms.

"Adrian!" he shouts. "My name is Adrian."

Photo, page 59 (https://2img.net/h/oi55.tinypic.com/2zs7148.jpg):

ANXIETY. When Majorov wasn't selected for the European Championships, he called the national team managers, "f***ing Swedish p*****s idiots n*****s" on Facebook. "F*** everyone!" After Aftonbladet picked up the story, the 19-year-old sent a text message to Filter reporter Erik Almqvist: "I feel so bad now because I really didn't mean any of it."

And that's everything, folks! flower
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My attempt to translate the "Isens ensamhet" article into English   My attempt to translate the "Isens ensamhet" article into English - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

My attempt to translate the "Isens ensamhet" article into English
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2